The Charlie Foundation is pleased to present this Ketogenic Diet approved recipe with the collaboration of our partner site ketocook.com
(949 calories, 28.64g protein, 1.69g carbohydrate)
This frosting is unique because it is a great source of protien & fat rather than carbohydrate like typical frostings. Since baked items usually are higher in carbohydrate, this is a great way to meet protien requirments and increase fat while still being able to decorate cakes and cupcakes. This is listed as a "food item" in the ketocalculator in the fat catagory as "Buttercream Frosting". Each ratio is a separate item.
- Weigh and mix the protein powder, water, extract, sweetener and salt together very well.
- Stir until all the lumps are dissolved. Set aside.
- Weigh the room temperature butter.
Use electric beaters to "cream" the butter.
- Scrape the sides of the bowl once. Continue to cream the butter until it has lightened in color and is light and fluffy.
- With mixers at low speed, slowly begin to pour the protein powder mixture into the creamed butter. Continue beating the mixture at a low speed until all the protein powder mixture is incorporated. Make sure you scrape the bowl! Increase the beater speed to high and continue to mix. This process will take at least 5 minutes total. You will know it is ready when it has turned from light yellow in color to almost white.
- Now you are ready to decorate! Weigh the needed amount of icing and use exactly as regular frosting.
Some things to remember:
- Since this recipe contains butter, it must be refrigerated for storage.
- It will melt in high temperature or if left sitting in direct sunlight due to the butter.
- Use a pastry bag for writing and making designs.
- Use a drop of natural food coloring to make different colors.
- May be sutible for hiding medication.