The Charlie Foundation is pleased to present this Ketogenic Diet approved recipe with the collaboration of our partner site ketocook.com
Makes 1 gallon
Listed as a "food item" in the ketocalculator in the carbohydrate list.
Broth, Chicken, Homemade
Leftover bones & meat of one roasted chicken (organic preferred)
4 stalks of celery cut in half
2 carrots cut into 1-inch pieces
1 small yellow onion (or half of a large onion), cut in half or quarters
2 sprigs of fresh parsley
1 3-inch sprig of fresh rosemary
1 3-inch sprig of fresh thyme
2 bay leaves
1-tablespoon apple cider vinegar (does not contribute any flavor, but helps draw minerals from the chicken bones)
1-gallon cold filtered water
1. Put all of the ingredients including the herbs, salt and vinegar into a large stockpot. Make sure the pot is large enough to accommodate the water. All ingredients should be cold, including the chicken.
2. Add the cold water to the stockpot, covering the chicken and other ingredients.
3. Bring the pot to a boil. As soon as it boils, turn the heat down to a very low simmer.
4. Simmer the broth for 2 hours; skim the top occasionally if foam appears.
5. After 2 hours, allow the broth to cool slightly before refrigerating. Refrigerate the broth until completely cool.
6. One the broth is completely cool, strain it very well. Remove all of the ingredients including any fat that has congealed on the top.
7. Store in the refrigerator for about 1 week or freeze in small portions.